Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dave Smith, Circus Performer #3


Dave Smith from onemansideshow.com posed for me as the next circus performer in my series. Dave had a narrow time frame before jetting off to Europe for a few weeks.

We were trying to get a few good portraits that he could use as some promo shots and we were also looking for detail shots.

Since fire is always eye-catching, I wanted to get some pictures of him doing some fire eating. I thought hard edge light would be a good place to start, so I used a three light setup to grab the shot above and this:



Each of the back lights were into reflectors and a softbox was used for up high. The rim lights were one stop above the main to give some definition and separation against the black background.

I set the lights up while Dave was in the “Juggling Laboratory” beneath the Juggling Studio breaking some bottles with his sledgehammer. He was breaking glass for his amazing feets of strength. This shot was done with backlight to create some highlights on the glass.











My favorite picture of the shoot was the long trail of fire we got with a creative exposure of 2 seconds. Although there is some blur, we got this one in 2 tries. The single light froze the action while the fire exposed itself throughout the range of motion.


Click to see the slideshow of my favorite shots from this session.

No comments:

Post a Comment